Nov. 7-9, 1899 A memorial presented to the Synod of the Diocese of New Westminster requesting a division of that diocese to form a new diocese was approved in principle. The new diocese is to be the Diocese of Kootenay.
May 27, 1900 St. Saviour's, Nelson is consecrated by Bishop John Dart of New Westminster, Bishop in Charge of the Diocese of Kootenay.
May 30-31, 1900 First Synod of the Diocese of Kootenay is held in Nelson. Nelson is declared the See City and St. Saviour's is designated the Cathedral.
June 4, 1903 An Act of Provincial Legislature is passed to incorporate the Anglican Synod of the Diocese of Kootenay. The Rt. Rev. John Dart, 2nd Bishop of New Westminster, formally becomes Bishop in Charge of Kootenay until enough money can be raised to support a bishop.
May 25-26, 1907 The first annual meeting of the Diocesan Women's Auxiliary is held in Nelson.
1910 The Most Rev. Adam Urias de Pencier, 3rd Bishop of New Westminster, becomes Bishop in Charge of Kootenay.
1913 First diocesan meeting of the BC and Yukon Anglican Youth Movement is held in Vernon.
1914 St. Michael's Preparatory School for Boys is founded by The Rev. Augustine Mackie in Coldstream.
1915 First Bishop of Kootenay is elected: The Rt. Rev. Alexander John Doull
1916 The Diocese of Kootenay is divided into two regions: Okanagan and Kootenay, each with its own Archdeacon
May 3-4, 1917 The Diocese of Kootenay attends the second Provincial Synod, held at Christ Church Cathedral, Vancouver.
June 24, 1922 First ordination in the Diocese of Kootenay: The Rev. Frederick Arthur Ramsey ordained by Bishop John Doull
July 31, 1924 Julian, Viscount Byng, Governor General of Canada, visits St. Michael & All Angels, Kelowna
1934 Second Bishop of Kootenay is elected: The Rt. Rev. Walter Robert Adams. Elected Metropolitan in 1914. Is Acting Primate 1947-1951.
May 28, 1939 On their cross-Canada tour, King George VI and Queen Elizabeth meet Bishop and Mrs. Walter Adams at Revelstoke
1942 The Earl of Athlone, Governor General of Canada, visits Armstrong
May 11, 1946 Lady Olave Baden-Powell visits Vernon
1948 Third Bishop of Kootenay is elected: The Rt. Rev. Frederick Patrick Clark
May 1948 Viscount Alexander of Tunis, Governor General of Canada, visits Diocese
1950 Okanagan Anglican Camp (OAC) property purchased at Wilson's Landing
1950 Camp Galilee (The Switzerland of the Kootenays) is established on Slocan Lake
1955 Fourth Bishop of Kootenay is elected: The Rt. Rev. Philip Rodger Beattie
July 20, 1958 Princess Margaret visits St. Michael & All Angels, Kelowna while in the city to officially open the new Bennett Bridge across Okanagan Lake
Sept. 30, 1955 The Diocese of Kootenay is granted arms by the College of Heralds
1956 The Diocesan newspaper, The HighWay, is founded. The first editors are Miss Leslie Holmes and Canon W.J. Silverwood
1959 Camp Beattie is established at Edwards Lake
1961 The fifth Bishop of Kootenay is elected: The Rt. Rev. William Robert Coleman
1966 The sixth Bishop of Kootenay is elected: The Rt. Rev. Edward Walter Scott. Elected Primate in 1971.
1966 The Parish of Windermere/Invermere becomes the first Shared Ministry in the Diocese of Kootenay (Anglican-United).
1969 The Diocese is divided into seven regions: North, Central and South Okanagan; Kootenay-Boundary, Nelson, Kootenay, and Highways
1971 Seventh Bishop of Kootenay elected: The Rt. Rev. Robert Edward Fraser Berry
1971 Nelson Region is renamed Kokanee Region
1974 Highways Region blended into North Okanagan Region
May 9, 1975 The Archbishop of Canterbury, The Most Rev. Donald Coggan, attends Diocesan Synod in Nelson
March 18, 1983 Ordination of the first female priest in Kootenay, The Rev. Jane Bourcet, by Bishop Berry
August 1983 The Archbishop of Canterbury, The Most Rev. Robert Runcie, visits St. Michael & All Angels' Church in Kelowna and St. Andrew’s in Okanagan Mission
1985 The Diocese of Kootenay is invited by the University of the South in Sewanee, Tennessee, to promote and manage the Education for Ministry (EfM) program in Canada
1987 The Cathedral is "moved" to St. Michael & All Angels, Kelowna. The former Nelson cathedral is designated the "Pro-Cathedral."
1987 Archives of the Diocese of Kootenay are established. First archivist: Gail Greenhalgh
1990 Eighth Bishop of Kootenay elected: The Rt. Rev. David Perry Crawley. Elected Metropolitan in 1994. Acting Primate 2004.
May 2003 Diocese of Kootenay becomes a Sponsorship Agreement Holder (SAH) for refugees.
2005 Ninth Bishop of Kootenay elected: The Rt. Rev. John Elswood Privett. Elected Metropolitan 2009.
2009 The Kootenay Cares Campaign is launched to raise $275,000, which is the Diocese of Kootenay's share of the Indian Residential School Settlement Fund
2009 The Kootenay Boundary Region is combined with the Kokanee Region to form West Kootenay, reducing the number of regions to five.
2009 St. Stephen's, New Denver becomes the Diocese of Kootenay's first Worshipping Community as part of the Parish of Castlegar
2010 The Kootenay School of Ministry is established with The Rev. Canon Dr. William Harrison as the first Principal.
Castlegar, Nakusp and New Denver form Valhalla Parish
Grand Forks, Greenwood and Kettle Valley form Boundary Parish
Trail/Rossland, Fruitvale and Salmo form Kootenay Summits Parish
Nelson, Balfour and Kaslo form Kokanee Parish
Sept. 30, 2013 Governor General David Johnstone attends services at The Cathedral Church of St. Michael & All Angels, Kelowna
2014 The Diocese of Kootenay scans over 2000 archival documents and submits them to the Truth and Reconciliation Commission, to be stored in a new National Centre for Truth and Reconciliation (NCTR) at the University of Manitoba.
2015 The Together in Mission Campaign is launched, with the goal of $2.1 million. Funds are raised for the National Church, the Diocese and participating churches. Two funds are established for parishes: The Creative Ministries Fund and the Faith Formation Fund.
June 2015 The PathWays website is created as a guide to lay and clerical vocation for all people in the Diocese
2016 To this date, Diocese of Kootenay has contributed over $195,000 to the Anglican Healing Fund to sponsor over 18 projects in the Diocese, in places such as Chase, Creston, Cranbrook and Penticton. As a response to the on-going legacy of the residential school system, grants from the healing fund are made to encourage and initiate programs that help heal, educate, and recover language and culture.
2017 The Diocese of Kootenay donated its refund from the Residential School Settlement Fund to UBC to support a cultural safety curriculum addressing barriers facing indigenous people’s access to health care.
January 2017 The Congregational Futures Working Group is established
January 19, 2019 The Rev. Dr. Lynne McNaughton is elected tenth Bishop of Kootenay at the Cathedral Church of St. Michael and All Angels, Kelowna, BC. She is consecrated and installed on May 16, 2019.
Bishops of Kootenay
Alexander John Doull: 1915-1933
Walter Robert Adams: 1934-1947 (Metropolitan 1941-1948)
Frederick Patrick Clark: 1948-1954
Philip Rodger Beattie: 1955-1960
William Robert Coleman: 1961-1965
Edward Walter Scott: 1966-1971
Robert Edward Fraser Berry: 1971-1989
David Perry Crawley: 1990-2004 (Metropolitan 1994-2004)
John Elswood Privett: 2005-2018 (Metropolitan 2009-2018)
Sources: Episcopal Acts, The HighWay Jubilee Edition, personnel files, Anglican Yearbook,
Click here to return to main Diocesan Profile page