History of the Archives

The archives is the institutional memory of the Diocese of Kootenay.  Without an archives we are like a person with no memory. This memory stretches back to the 19th century and the first European settlement of the Okanagan and the Kootenays. We hold records from the 1880s, and some of our early priests ministered to the workers on the Canadian Pacific Railway before and after it was completed in 1885 and to the miners in the various gold rush towns, many of them now ghost towns such as Fairview and Phoenix.  Our priests also presided at the war time marriages of soldiers in Vernon and ministered to the Japanese Canadian internees in New Denver.  - Howard Hisdal, Diocese of Kootenay Archivist, 2002-2009

The Archives in the Diocese of Kootenay were established in 1987.  They are housed at the Diocese of Kootenay Synod Office in Kelowna, B.C.

Archivists:

1987-1990           Gail Greenhalgh
1990-2001           Bert Billesberger
2002-2009         Howard Hisdal
2009 - present   Kathryn Lockhart

 
Masons remove the time capsule from the cornerstone of st.  saviour's, nelson in september 2011.

Masons remove the time capsule from the cornerstone of st.  saviour's, nelson in september 2011.